Sunday, March 23, 2014

Blue Bulky Cardigan Project

I had some heavier yarn and wanted to make up a blue cardigan for my great granddaughter.  She wanted long sleeves, three buttons at the top and it had to be blue to match her jeans!  I did make it for her and sent it off in the mail as she loves to get parcels.  At five years of age this is pretty much a big deal to get a parcel just for you!

I had a lot of the yarn left over so I make another regular cardigan in a larger size with six button closure.  Our little GGD Evalynne will be able to grow into this one. 

This is the first time I have make the button and buttonhole bands separately and sewn them on after the fact.  I know a lot of machine knitters use this technique and I figured it was about time I gave it a try.  Do like the appearance and it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be at all.

I used Knitware for the pattern using a child's 28" chest sizing for this one.  Did my swatch and then using my Studio 155 with ribber I knit it up very quickly.  Did the neckband in 1 x 1 rib and the shaped top of the sleeves I put together on the machine rather than hand sewing doing half at a time.  All the other seams were done by hand.

I have now an order from my 14 year old granddaughter Maddie for a red pullover with some interesting textures in the centre front panel.  A bit of a challenge but I'm going to give it a try.  I have the yarn in a beautiful cherry red.  Next I will have to decide what machine to use.  It is a much finer yarn so I may be able to work this one up on my Singer 360 with ribber or possibly my LK 150 and do a lot of hand manipulating. 

Here is a photo of the finished larger cardigan (sorry forgot to take a photo of the smaller one).

Click on photo to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment